Home Fire Safety

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth A Pound of Cure... Give your home a safety "Check Up." Here are some ways to make your home safer...

Throughout the home:

Don't overload electrical circuits or extension cords.

Check appliances for worn or frayed cords and replace as necessary.

Heating Safety:

Have your heating system, flues and chimneys inspected and cleaned for safe operation.

Maintain a safe clearance (at least 3 feet) between portable space heaters and any combustible materials (furniture, bedding, curtains, and clothing.)

Turn off space heaters when leaving a room.

Kerosene heaters: Use kerosene only; never use gasoline. Wait for the unit to cool before refilling it.

Fireplaces: Only burn wood. Use a fire screen made of metal or heat-tempered glass to protect your home from flying embers. Be sure dampers are in working order. Never leave fires unattended.

Basements / Garages:

If you store gasoline, keep only small quantities. If possible, keep it in a shed or detached garage. Only use sealed, approved containers. Use gasoline only as a motor fuel, never as a cleaning agent.

Don't keep large accumulations of newspapers, magazines, rags or other assorted combustible materials.

Flammable liquids, including paint remover, varnish, and cleaning fluids must only be kept in sealed, labeled metal containers. Keep them far away from heat sources such as a furnace or hot water heater. Dispose of outdated or empty cans properly.

Make sure fuses and/or circuit breakers are the proper amperage. Never use a penny or other conductive material in place of a fuse.


Keep matches far out of the reach of children.

Always stay near the stove while cooking. Never leave a lit stove unattended.

Keep combustible materials away from the stove. Make sure curtains, pot holders, or towels are not hanging near burners or the oven.

When cooking, wear tight fitting clothing or rolled up sleeves to avoid catching your clothes on fire.

Keep pot handles turned inward so they can't be bumped or pulled over. Whenever possible, use the back burners

For microwave ovens, use only containers approved for microwave use.

Living Rooms, Family Rooms, and Bedrooms:

Sleep with your door closed. A shut door inhibits the spread of smoke and fire.

If you smoke, use extreme caution. Most fatal home fires are caused by smoking materials!

NEVER smoke in bed.

Use large, deep, non-tip ashtrays. Empty them frequently, but only after you are certain all signs of heat or burning are gone.

Keep all lighters and matches out of the reach of children. Child-resistant lighters are preferable.

Before going to bed or leaving the house, carefully check anyplace people were smoking for smoldering cigarette butts. Ashes can smolder for several hours before erupting into flame.